Memories

Over the years we have made many memories at Fazakerley Primary School. We also have pictures of school when it used to be a wooden building.

 

   

   

   

   

Fazakerley Primary School, known as Fazakerley Hall Council School, first opened it’s doors on 14th August 1929 at 9am. The school had an Infants and Junior department where 278 children attended. The Head Teacher was called Miss Marg. J. Cassing and she had a staff of 7 teachers.

The Nursery didn’t open until 10th August 1942 and was opened under the control of War time Health. The nursery was taken over by the Education Authority on 29th March 1946.

Throughout the years Fazakerley Primary School has been known by many different names. In 1939 a letter was sent out to the community informing them the school was to be known as Fazakerley Council Junior School and Fazakerley Council Infants School. In 1945 the community were informed that the school was to be called Fazakerley County Primary Infants School and Fazakerley County Primary Junior School. In 1947 an amendment was made to the name of the Infants school to incorporate the Nursery, the school became known as Fazakerley County Infants and Nursery school.

In 1952 the Ministry of Return renamed the school Fazakerley (Formosa Drive) County Primary School. Many local residents still refer to the school as Formosa Drive School.

On Sunday 2nd December 1973 the Head Teacher, Mr Edwards, received a telephone call informing him that the Junior Department had completely been destroyed by fire, in the late afternoon. Over 40 firemen from Liverpool and Lancashire attended the fire and tried in vain to save the building. The Liverpool Echo reported that two 10 year old boys were to appear at the Juvenile Magistrates Court as a result of CID investigations into the fire.

On 5th March 1975 the new school building was inspected and handed over to the Local Education Authority. The building was one of the first open-plan, brick, single storey school buildings to open in Liverpool. The shell of the building is still seen today, but many changes have taken place internally, not to mention the ‘link building’ joining the Infant and Junior buildings.